How to make ice cream
June 11, 2012Hi there, wonderful readers,All that talk last week about the smallfrys ice cream bears got me thinking, I wanna make some icecream! I wanted to make plain vanilla because I like putting berries and stuff in mine. Plus, thisvanilla isn’t like any other vanilla you’ve ever tasted. Homemade ice cream is SO GOOD!
Here’s what you’ll need to make it: 2 pint-sized re-sealable plastic freezer bags, 1 gallon-sized re-sealable plastic freezer bag, 2 cups heavy whipping cream, 2 cups half-and-half cream, ½ cup white sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1 smaller bag of crushed ice (bags from the grocery store will work, get the help of an adult to crush the ice into smaller pieces by dropping it on pavement or pounding it with a wooden mallet), 4 cups coarse salt (most grocery stores have this, sometimes it’s called kosher salt).
Here’s how to make it:
1. In a bowl or pitcher, stir together the first four ingredients until the sugar dissolves. It could take a few minutes.
2. Put about ½ cup of the mixture into one of the pint-sized bags, and be very careful when you seal it, trying to squeeze out most of the air. Then, put that bag into another pint-sized bag and do the same thing, squeeze out most of the air and seal it very carefully.
3. Fill the gallon-sized bag with ice to about halfway. Then, put in about ½ cup of the coarse salt. Put one of the small bags into the large bag, and seal it the same way squeezing out most of the air.
4. Make sure to wear gloves or wrap the bag in a towel because it gets super cold (because adding salt makes the ice get even colder than freezing! More about that in a different post.) Then, shake and squish the bag for about 6 minutes while the mixture turns into ice cream!
5. Add more salt and ice to the big bag if you don’t have ice cream after about 15 minutes.
6. Once it has become ice cream, take out the little bag, open it up and enjoy!
You can get creative with this too, by adding fruit, sprinkles or anything else that strikes your fancy. But I’m telling you, this ice cream is so good, I doubt you’ll want to do anything but eat it right away!
Enjoy, ice cream lovers!