April 23, 2012
I'm always looking for awesome crafts to do with my friends, and I finally found one that I thought you'd like to do with your friends, too! This is a really fun craft that you can do with items you usually have around the house. You’ll need: a sock that has no match, craft glue, felt, yarn, buttons, googly eyes, puff paint, beads. All of these things are optional, and if you keep reading you’ll see why.
1. Protect your work surface and make sure you have an adult’s supervision if you’re going to be using sharp scissors.
2. Pick out two googly eyes, buttons or beads for the eyes of your sock puppet. Glue them on top of your sock, like the picture below. Remember: the more creative items you choose for your puppet, the better looking your puppet will be. I picked googly eyes for mine.
1. Pick out a button or a big bead that you want to use as a nose and glue it underneath the eyes. I picked a button for my puppet’s nose.
2. Then you can get really creative. Think about all the things that can be on a human head, like ears, hair (long or short), a beard, a mustache, earrings on the ears, etc. Then, use your noggin and finish off the head of your puppet. I picked yarn to make a little bit of hair and I found some leftover felt to make ears. I made a mustache with felt of a different color because I wanted it to stand out. Mustaches are so funny!
3. Once the glue is dry and you’ve completed the top part of your puppet, you can flip it over and make a mouth with fabric paint. I used red puff paint.
I might add a big pink tongue later, like one that hangs out of its mouth even when it’s closed. Some dogs’ tongues do that and it’s funny looking so I might want to make my puppet look like that.
4. Then when everything is dry you can make another one if you want! You can make all kinds of sock puppets with different looks and personalities.
It would be fun to invite your friends over so you could all do a puppet show! When I do this I’m just going to pop out behind our couch so people can only see the puppet. Hmm… now I have to name my puppet. I know, I’ll name him Mister. Lots of funny puppet show scripts can include a Mister!