How to make a bird feeder
April 16, 2012
Today I’m going to teach you how to make a really easy bird feeder. By having a bird feeder in your yard, you’ll be able to watch and learn about more birds.
You’ll need a pinecone (about the size of your hand will work perfectly!), a square piece of waxed paper, a paper plate, a spoon, peanut butter and some bird seed (most grocery stores have it this time of year).
1. Pour some bird seed onto the paper plate. Set aside.
2. Lay out your waxed paper to protect your work surface from the peanut butter. Tie the string around the top of the pinecone so that a long piece hangs off. You’ll use this to hang your bird feeder from a tree.
3. Using the spoon, dab a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter onto your pinecone and use your fingers to spread it around so it coats the outside of the pinecone.
4. Wash your hands. Then roll the pinecone in the bird seed, tapping more bird seed onto places where there is extra peanut butter. Make sure the bird seed sticks by tapping it into the peanut butter.
5. Let your pinecone rest in a safe place for about a day so the peanut butter has a chance to dry a little bit. Then, you can hang it outside!
Have fun watching all the birds enjoy their food from your new bird feeder! You can reuse this pinecone once the birds have eaten all the bird seed.
Catch ya later!